Tuesday, January 19, 2010

the dreaming twitch

I don't know if this happens to you, but when I dream (which isn't too often) and I fall, or I hit a body part off of something, I usually jerk awake because that limb or whatever twitches (or slightly more than twitches) in the real world.

Does that ever happen to you?

Last night this happened to me again. First in a dream I hit my leg off of something, so I jerked awake as my right leg twitched.

I cursed slightly and then I settled back down to go to sleep.

Well, less than 5 minutes later something happened in a dream I don't remember because the next thing I know I'm awake, I have the tingly sensation that you get when you nail, or are about to nail, your head off something in a dream AND my head twitched.

It felt like my brain had moved around in my skull. It slightly freaked me out. Actually, I'm still slightly freaked out about the whole thing. I mean what if my brain really did slush around up there?

Does anything weird happen to you when you dream? Do you dream? If you do, do you dream in colour or black and white?

9 comments:

  1. I'll start some investigative research on the topic right now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, I dreamt about work. No twitching (I guess writing software isn't as physically demanding as one might think). I think it was colour but I'm not quite sure.

    I do know the twitching sensation you write about. My experience is that the twitching can be quite pronounced. I'm not sure if it is emphasized in my head or not, though. (Kind of like how running your tongue around you teeth makes them feel huge, but closer inspection reveals that they're actually really small.)

    One of the things I really enjoy with respect to dreaming is ending a dream to get out of difficult to solve problems. With regular consistency, whenever I am in a dream and there is some kind of difficult problem (for example, someone is chasing me and I cannot seem to shake him (I assume it's a him)) I decide "this isn't worth wasting time on--I'm just going to wake up". It's really cool, but I'm afraid that someday I'm going to try this when I'm not actually dreaming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a really nice reply to your comment, but then my computer went weird and the whole thing just disappeared. Not a fan of that I have to say.

    So to summarize my comment:

    1. I envy the fact that you can make yourself wake up. I totally can't do that.
    2. I don't enjoy dreaming because I usually only have nightmares which are just not fun.
    3. I really hope that you never try to make yourself wake up when you're not sleeping too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How many promo videos do I have to watch about iPad before I'll be sure to dream about it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. How are the New Years resolutions coming?

    ReplyDelete
  6. DID YOU KNOW??? It's been almost one month since you last worte a post!

    You're slipping, dude.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not blogging until you do.

    ReplyDelete