Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Eleanor

Today, my housemate and I were cooking dinner when we had a slight mishap. Butter was spilled on the element and also got into the element. We didn't think about it really and just assumed that it would burn off.

BIG mistake.

The element after a moment or two, catches fire. So we take the pot off of the element and there's this nice little flame coming out of our element. The two of us stare at it for a moment and ask each other:

...crap...what do we do...?

Then, with a flash of insight I remember the movie Gone in 60 Seconds.

How does this relate you ask?

Well, in the movie the younger brother of the main character sets a frying pan/element on fire, and the older brother grabs baking soda and dumps it all over the flame.

Thus, I start scrambling for baking soda in the kitchen while the fire burns merrily on.

After a few seconds I find the baking soda and give it to my housemate.

She asks the most important question: will this work?

I reply, "I'm not sure, I saw it in a movie."

So, she grabs a little bit, and tosses it onto the element and the fire immediately goes out.

Lessons of the evening:
1. You can learn things from movies
2. Baking soda is fantastic for putting out kitchen fires. (Remember that one).

3 comments:

  1. I loved this line:

    > I reply, "I'm not sure, I saw it in a movie."

    Baking soda is good for grease/oil fires because water can cause the grease (sometimes on fire) can splatter if you hit it with water. You can use baking soda for a barbecue fire, too.

    Glad you're both safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha, that's awesome.

    You know what else works really well?

    A pot lid. Cut off the oxygen. Learned that in grade 10 science ;)

    ReplyDelete