Thursday, November 5, 2009

I. Just. Don't. Know.

I don't know what I want to do with my life.

I do know that I don't want to be a teacher for the next 35 years. It's just not happening. I won't make it.

I like the idea of going into editing and/or publishing but I don't know how to go about getting into that without getting a second undergrad degree (which let's face it is not going to happen).

I missed the deadline for SFU in BC which offered editing and publishing programs. The deadline was Nov 1st. It's Nov 5th. So I can't apply there until next year.

UBC and UVIC have MFA (masters in fine arts) programs that involve creative writing and UVIC also has an internship where you can spend a year with a publishing company in BC.

The Walrus has a 6 month unpaid editoral internship but that starts in Jan and I'm still in teacher's college so that doesn't work out for me, so if I wanted it I would have to wait until the next one showed up.

I also have to admit that jouralism doesn't really turn my crank. I'm not that interested in the news and I have no desire to be a newsreporter. I like the Walrus internship because you get to do so much behind the scenes, editoral stuff (yeah I know, wasn't that descriptive).

I could put my name on the supply teacher list and see if I'll get hired by the end of next year. I could teach abroad. I could just get a random job and work for a year. While doing that I could also write my book. I could backpack for a year.

See. I DON'T KNOW WHAT I WANT TO DO. And for the editing/publishing stuff I DON'T KNOW HOW TO GET INTO IT.

I'm frustrated.

I feel like I need to have this all figured out now - forget now, I feel like I should have had it figured out yesterday or 3 years ago or something.

I just don't know what to do. I don't know what I want. And thus I don't know how to go and get anything.

I. Just. Don't. Know.

6 comments:

  1. I'm in that same boat, hon. We'll figure it out, I promise. I want to look into applying to places for editing/publishing as well. We'll see what happens at the end of the year. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) thanks darling. sounds like a plan :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. journalism isn't just about reporting about the news, and nor do you have to be a reporter to be a journalist.

    i'm a journalist of sorts and don't often report on the news. i couldn't handle that kind of journalism.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmmm...that's an interesting point. I think it would be cool to work for a magazine. But my problem is I don't know any Canadian magazines other than Macleans or the Walrus.

    I suppose I should do some digging on that...or start my own lol. That would be kind of cool but I just don't know really anything about magazines to do that...

    ReplyDelete
  5. My advice: if you decide what you want to do, don't let deadline dates get in your way. Exceptions are made all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that's a very good point. I never thought about that

    ReplyDelete