Friday, August 28, 2009

childhood magic


My favourite flower is a lilac.

When I was a kid one of the walls in my bedroom, my north wall actually, faced the backyard. My window was on that wall, and in the backyard we had a lilac tree. As soon as it was warm enough - like 15 degrees or so - I opened my window, and it stayed open until about September.

Now lilacs don't bloom for a very long time - but the time that they do bloom is my favourite time of year. This is probably why:

Because my window was always open and the lilac tree in the backyard was so near to my window, when I woke up in the late spring and early summer the first thing that I always smelt was lilacs. The wind would blow gently in pushing the curtains aside and this smell would fill my room. Sunlight would follow the smell, and I, a small girl, would be cuddled up in my covers, enjoying the sunshine and the lilacs.

It was the same at night. I would be snuggled up in covers, darkness would trickle in, and the wind would come in to say good night bringing with it the smell of lilacs.

These were my 2 favourite moments of summer. It was my little snatch of peace, and my little snatch of magic that was just mine and no one elses.

3 comments:

  1. My mother loves lilacs. I am to plant them over her grave when she dies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and apologies for lack of euphemism. I forget people are uncomfortable with death.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand that some people are uncomfortable about death but I don't think I like euphemism's for it. I think I prefer if people just say it point blank.

    ReplyDelete