Tuesday, June 16, 2009

peace within

Today I had to go downtown to the post office and since I was so far downtown I decided to make my walk worthwhile, so I brought my laptop with me (which is seriously heavy to carry that far in the heat i might add) and went to the Goat where I sat down for about an hour or so and wrote some more about my character Abby. She's pretty sweet I have to say.

This blog isn't about her though, this blog is about St. Mary's Cathedral. On the way back home I walked up Johnson which of course leads me right by St. Mary's. Anyway, all the doors were open, so, obviously, I went inside.

I walked up the steps and kind of cautiously walked in. My footsteps echoed, so I walked as softly as I possible could. There was no one around. It's beautiful inside. Candles lit for different prayers offered, stunning stained glass windows, beautiful arches. I walked around the back of the cathedral and I felt like I was an intruder - as if it were like the 1500s and I was a poor wench who wasn't suppose to be there. For some reason I was afraid of running into someone. After a few moments, I let myself relax and take in the quiet. Then I went down and sat in a pew.
What I said to God there doesn't really matter for this post, but after a few moments, with me freezing ever time I heard a noise, a woman came in. She was an ordinary woman. She walked up a different isle than I was sitting, did a kneel thing before she sat down and then kneeled in the pew on the little thing they have for you there (can you tell I'm not Catholic) and she began to pray.
Cars rattled on down the street outside, another man came in from a different part of the church who worked there, but this silence, this peace penetrated the sanctuary and it remained untouched. You almost fell into it sitting there.

Protestants aren't generally to big on the whole cathedral thing I've noticed, but I almost think that they're necessary. That it's a good thing they exist somewhere because they remind us - or at least remind me, how big God is, how powerful, and how awe inspiring. Sometimes I think that we - or at least I - need to be reminded of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment