Wednesday, June 10, 2009

what do stars do best

I just finished watching Stardust, and I don't really know why but I really love that movie. Maybe it's because stars fall from the sky and are people, because nobles bleed blue blood, where pirates capture lightening and sell it on the black market and where it is possible to give your heart to someone else and take theirs in exchange.

Is that how real love works? Two people exchanging hearts? Is that what a soul mate is? And I mean how do you know that THE ONE is THE ONE? Is it one of those things that you just know when you stumble across it? Or is there even such a thing as the one?

Do you think that there is one person for everyone in the world? and if not why is that? Why are some people sentenced to live without someone and others to have more than one?

Is it possible to fall madly in love with 2 different people during 2 different times and have both of those people mean the world to you?

I feel like Prince Henry from Ever After when he's questioning Da Vinci about love. How is it possible to be so befuddled by something that is suppose to just happen to you? Why is love easy and hard at the same time?

It's sad to think that love as powerful as it is has become such a cliche in works of art and in society at large. People love the idea of falling in love with someone. We watch it in movies and we sigh and awww at all the right parts and we cheer when the two people are able to over come the odds and make it together. But as soon as that situation is found in reality it becomes a cliche. People tear it down. Mock it. Say it'll never happen or never work and instead of going for love to go for something more practical - like money or social position.

Are we all hypocrites?

And how did the most powerful force found on this planet become a cliche? When did people stop embracing it, or maybe I'm being cynical and they haven't?

Am I cliched for writing about it?

And am I cliched for saying that despite everything I think that it would be wonderful and terrible all at the same time to fall in love?

2 comments:

  1. "Do you think that there is one person for everyone in the world? and if not why is that? Why are some people sentenced to live without someone and others to have more than one?"

    Not really. It seems to me that if you work hard enough, more than one person could be "right" for you, and you for that person.

    "Is it possible to fall madly in love with 2 different people during 2 different times and have both of those people mean the world to you?"
    And is it possible to fall madly in love with 2 different people at the same time and have both of those people mean the world to you? I don't know, but it's something I've wondered about lately.

    "Are we all hypocrites?"
    More than likely. I wouldn't worry about it too much, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Read my forthcoming book for the answers! Or at least, my take on the answers. But in the meantime, Love Is:

    http://music.todaysbigthing.com/2009/03/18

    I found it on the internet so it must be true.

    ReplyDelete