Saturday, May 2, 2009

aching calves and sassy grandmothers

Today my calves are incredibly sore. I didn't realize that climbing up and down 3 flights of stairs with boxes and such about 100 times would pain me so much the next day. I utter a slight curse when I have to go up and down stairs today. There have been a lot of stairs today too. I've been cursing quite a bit.

Today I went to Meiling's house. Which is a completely beautiful house. And we had a BBQ with a bunch of Queens people and her family. It was fantastic and I had a great time. I took the subway to get there, and it was my first time having to take 3 subways on one trip. The problem with the subway though = stairs. BIG flights of stairs. BIG flights of stairs every time I transferred. Other than the stairs the subway was rather enjoyable. There are a lot of interesting people on it. I find it difficult to get bored on it.

When I got home I had to get ready to go to my Nana's 80th b-day dinner. That was really good. I got to see 2 of my greats aunts and a great uncle that I don't normally get to see often. My Great Uncle Bob (who will now be called Uncle Bob) has a film premiering downtown on Friday. It's a documentary created by the National Film Board (where he works) and it's about a McGill religion professor who was fired by the university after bringing in big name relgious people from all different religions to speak to his classes. Apparently a lot of the big money that goes into McGill comes from certain Jewish individuals and there was some mention of money being cut off if McGill didn't fire this professor. It's a controversial film and a controversial story. McGill is apparently very nervous about it coming about. We'll see how it goes. Well really I'll hear about it since I'll be on a plane by that point, but you get what I mean.

My aunt Marion (uncle Bob's wife) has been battling cancer for the past year almost and apparently they've stopped it from spreading which is really good. She looks so small though, and while not frail, slightly breakable. I felt the need to protect her almost, to keep the world from smacking her again. She's hilarious too though, and definitely sees the world in a different way. I also get a new perspective on things after talking with her.

Uncle Bob and Aunt Marion are some of my most favourite people in the world. They're also how I would define marriage if it needed a living example definition. I would like what they have.

After hanging out with my nana and my mom this evening too I realized that I'm in for a ride on this trip. My Nana is a card. She's totally sassy, and has no problem showing that sass to everyone. My mom and her play off each other really well. It's going to be quite the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment