Friday, May 22, 2009

Queenstown

Today we are in Queenstown. Last night we were in Wanaka and the hotel was funny. They only had space heaters so we had one in the main room and one in the bathroom, and then there were electric blankets. This morning we spent 45 min in the town of Wanaka walking around and checking out some stores. Then we went on to Arrowtown which a gold rush town (the town sprang up because of the gold rush that happened there in the 1800s). We walked through their little museum and did some more shopping. The town is really small, and it's closed in by mountains but it's really beautiful. I mean imagine waking up to mountains every morning? Apparently snowboarding and skiing in the area is really good too. After Arrowtown we came to Queenstown.
The hotel we're staying at here is called Sofitel and apprently it's a 5 star of pretty damn near it. This is going to sound spoiled and brattish but I really like staying in 5 star hotels when I don't have to pay for them. There's a walk in shower and a jacuzzi in the bathroom, plus the bathroom floor is heated. Also in the mini bar there's this little box of condoms that looks like a briefcase and on it, it says "just in case", for some reason we found it really amusing.
We did some shopping around Queenstown, and we're going out to dinner along the wharf tonight. Queenstown is really beautiful too - lots of mountains again. It kind of reminds us of Banff in Alberta or even Jasper, it has that sort of feel to it. Tomorrow we're going to go and see some of the sights of where they filmed LOTR, which I'm excited for. After that we have the rest of the day to explore Queenstown.
Apparently Queenstown is the adventure capital of NZ. You can bungee jump, or jump off mountains and cliffs with a parachute, white water raft, jet boat etc etc. It's also a popular destination for people from overseas who want to go abroad and work and everything.
On a personal note lol my cough is getting a bit worse and I've had to start taking my puffer which is really annoying though I have to admit I can breathe alot better after I take it lol, and it's also bloody cold here. Winter apparently has come early to NZ as some locals have been saying. No matter though, I mean what's cold to a Canadian right? (yeah we all know that I'm a bad Canadian on the feeling the coldness front) and in less than a week I'm in Hawaii so I can handle the cold for a few more days lol.
This internet is free today which I'm quite happy about. I've spent so much money on internet, postcards and stamps I tell you. But it's been worth it lol.
HUG!
Love from NZ

No comments:

Post a Comment