Thursday, May 7, 2009

new story. opening scene. (rough draft).

"Is?"
The screen door slammed. "Isabelle are you here?"
There was a muffled noise from behind a closed door further down the hallway. "Are you still in bed?! It's noon! Get up!"

The closed door led to a bedroom, in which Isabelle was sleeping. The covers were drawn up to the base of her neck, her face was implanted into the pillow and her left foot was dangling out of the covers over the edge of the bed.
"I brought tea!" called the voice that had invaded Isabelle's sleep.
Isabelle moaned, and lifting her face slightly out of her pillowed yelled, "10 minutes!"

True to her word 10-ish minutes later Isabelle appeared in the kitchen in baggy pants and a cut up tank top. Her hair was loosely piled up on the top of her head.

"Why on earth are you still sleeping at noon?" asked Julie who had brought the tea.
Isabelle yawned, grabbed her tea, and plunked herself down into a chair.
"I didn't get in until about 5 last night."
"Am?" screeched Julie.
Isabelle raised an eyebrow, "Yeah."
"What the hell were you doing out until 5 am? It's dangerous to be out so late!"
"Relax. I was just spray painting - over on fourteenth street, at that abandoned building. You know, the one on the right hand side when you turn left off of Patterson?"
Julie nodded mutely. She opened and closed her mouth a couple of times, but no sound emerged. Isabelle looked at her in amusement. "You look like a codfish."
"You sound like Peter Pan."
"I always wanted to meet him. Though I have to admit I've always wanted to give Tinkerbell a good kick."
"She does save Peter from the poison in the play, and a bomb in the Disney movie."
"Still, she's a vindictive little tramp who won't let any other girl have him, even though she can't have him."
"Welcome to the Hollywood style story line of most present day teenage girls' lives."
"Betcha Barrie never thought he'd write such an immortal, and dare I say it, relateable character."
"Indeed. So who got you to go spray painting last night?" said Julie getting back to the original topic. "Please don't tell me you went by yourself."
"I didn't. Mike invited me along. He's got something going on the left hand side of the building, and needed some help filling in some colour."
"Who on earth is Mike?"
"You don't know him? Hmm..I assumed you knew him already. He's the pizza delivery guy."
"The pizza delivery guy and you decided to go spray painting."
"Yeah."
Julie took a gulp of tea, and put a hand to her forehead, "Sure, why not." She took a calming breath, "Plans for the rest of the day?"
"I was thinking of going and having a chat with Granny Bird. I haven't seen her in a couple of days."
"Sounds good. What time were you thinking of going? I'd love to-
Julie stopped mid sentence, and cocked her head to the side, listening.
"Sorry I got to go," she said, standing up. "I'll talk to you later. Tell Granny Bird I say hi."
"Later," said Isabelle as Julie walked out the door.

Isabelle took another sip of tea, and standing up with a groan went looking for some bread. She made herself some toast, then showered and changed.
"Gotta buy hair dye," she muttered, ruffling her hair, as she paused to look at herself in the bathroom mirror.
Roughly 30 minutes later Isabelle left the house with the loaf of bread from her kitchen to give to Granny Bird.

No comments:

Post a Comment